Re: TODO item: Allow data to be pulled directly from indexes

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Karl Schnaitter" <karlsch(at)soe(dot)ucsc(dot)edu>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TODO item: Allow data to be pulled directly from indexes
Date: 2008-06-30 11:07:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:

> I'm not sure I have enough time to get all that done for 8.4, it's looking bad
> at the moment, so help would be much appreciated. If you don't agree with
> taking the visibility map approach, I would suggest working on the indexam API
> changes first, to allow returning index tuples from an index. I believe that
> part is the same regardless of how we check the visibility.

That part is the elephant in the room in all these discussions.

I wonder if we want to have a new plan node for the heap accesses so they can
be postponed up above a join or other quals. Even for tuples which are of
questionable visibility we ought to be able to check cheap quals first before
checking visibility (though we might need a new function property to indicate
it's safe to call extra times on data which doesn't really exist -- immutable
doesn't mean it might not throw errors, for example).

--
Gregory Stark