Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful
Date: 2010-05-06 09:26:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> If you need a script that involves changing a server setting to do
> something, that translates into "you can't do that" for a typical DBA. The
> idea of a program regularly changing a server configuration setting on a
> production system is one you just can't sell. That makes this idea
> incredibly more difficult to use in the field than any of the workarounds
> that cope with the known max_standby_delay issues.

I still think that the best API we can do in a timely fashion for 9.0
is:

standby_conflict_winner = replay|queries

pg_pause_recovery() / pg_resume_recovery()

It seems to me those two functions are only exposing existing facilities
in the code, so that's more an API change that a new feature
inclusion. Of course I'm certainly wrong. But the code has already been
written.

I don't think we'll find any better to offer our users in the right time
frame. Now I'll try to step back and stop repeating myself in the void :)

Regards,
--
dim