Re: WIP patch for parallel pg_dump

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP patch for parallel pg_dump
Date: 2010-12-02 13:50:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de> writes:
> A guy called Dimitri Fontaine actually proposed the
> serveral-directories feature here and other people liked the idea.

Hehe :)

Reading that now, it could be that I didn't know at the time that given
a powerful enough subsystem disk there's no way to saturate it with one
CPU. So the use case of parralel dump in a bunch or user given locations
would be to use different mount points (disk subsystems) at the same
time.  Not sure how releveant it is.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine