Re: [GENERAL] plPHP in core?

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] plPHP in core?
Date: 2005-04-04 04:19:51
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
"Jim C. Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 08:41:15PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> > > What databases support perl or php stored procs/functions? Or python for
> > > that matter?
> >
> > None on the server side (except PostgreSQL) which makes the
> > argument all that more powerful :)

Actually Oracle supports at least Perl and Java in addition to C for server
side code. And of course once you have C it's a SMOP to have PHP, Python, Ruby
or whatever so I wouldn't be surprised to find packages for any of those out
there.

> Honestly, I think if we're going to spend time worrying about languages
> as features then we should be doing more to advertise the fact that
> perl/PHP/python/ruby/etc programmers can program in the database in
> their native language. This is something that makes PostgreSQL unique
> and should provide additional incentive for people to use PostgreSQL. I
> don't think it matters much at all if those 'bonus languages' are
> included in core or not, at least not to end-users.

FWIW I agree. The extensibility of Postgres is its strong point. That you can
program the server easily and conveniently in your favourite language without
going through extra layers of abstraction or complicated build environments is
the biggest component of that.

--
greg