Re: Extensions User Design

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extensions User Design
Date: 2009-07-01 15:04:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I have zero interest in trying to support either.  I doubt it's even
> possible --- the backend code has no way to inform the dynamic loader
> how to resolve cross-library references.  So if the DL doesn't already
> understand the dependency it's never going to work.

Ok, that means less work for the extension facility (it was not
targetted for it's first incarnation anyway) stuff.

FWIW, I had in mind to use the dependancy information in the extension
meta-data to issue more than one "dlopen()" when a plugin function is
called. I'm being told that in my case linking against should do the trick, though.

I'll drop the idea off the scope of the extension facility.