Re: stored procedure stats in collector

From: Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttmail(dot)com>
To: Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: stored procedure stats in collector
Date: 2008-03-23 20:25:45
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Hi,

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Attached is a patch that enables tracking function calls through
> the stats subsystem. Original discussion:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-07/msg00377.php
>
> Introduces new guc variable - track_functions. Possible values are:
> none - no collection, default
> pl - tracks procedural language functions
> all - tracks procedural, SQL and C (not internal) functions

I might have missed the discussion, but I'd love to see a more flexible
interface for configuration parameters. For instance, it'd be great if
we can specify which procedural languages to track in the `pl' GUC.
Moreover, if it'd be possible to specify which specific functions we
want to try, then that would be awesome as well.

For instance, possible configuration combinations for track_functions
can be:

  `pl:*'                - Tracks procedural, SQL and C (not internal)
                          functions in the `public' schema.
  `pl:pgsql'            - Tracks only PL/pgSQL functions.
  `pl:scheme'           - Tracks only PL/scheme functions.
  `foo(int, int)'       - Tracks related `foo' function in the public
                          schema.
  `stock.foo(int, int)' - Tracks related `foo' function in the `stock'
                          schema.
  `pl:stock.*'          - Tracks procedural, SQL and C (not internal)
                          functions in the `stock' schema.

Syntax can obviously be much more consistent. (These are just what I
come up with for the very moment.) And I'm aware of the overhead and
complexity(?) this sort of scheme will bring, but I really want to use
such a useful feature with mentioned flexibilities.

Regards.