Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-27 15:10:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers
andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net (Andrew Dunstan) writes:
> Actually, what I had in mind was getting people to run their
> applications etc. in some non-production environment on the beta. I
> talked to a client today and he said "sure, we have several
> development environments and we can put one or two on the beta and
> then let the developers just do their thing on it." Testing the things
> we know about is in a way less important than making sure nothing else
> got broken.

I've gotten the DB work on one of our applications to the point where
there's a meaningful set of DB tests that can be run in automated
fashion.  As a result, I rotate between PG versions periodically; every
couple weeks, I recompile HEAD, and run a test against it to make sure I
don't see any regressions.

It would be insane to think about deploying on some 8.5-alpha version,
but it's nice to have something I can run in ~5 minutes that exercises a
fair bit of at least vaguely realistic functionality.
Christopher Browne
"Bother,"  said Pooh,  "Eeyore, ready  two photon  torpedoes  and lock
phasers on the Heffalump, Piglet, meet me in transporter room three"