Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-27 15:10:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers
andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net (Andrew Dunstan) writes:
> Actually, what I had in mind was getting people to run their
> applications etc. in some non-production environment on the beta. I
> talked to a client today and he said "sure, we have several
> development environments and we can put one or two on the beta and
> then let the developers just do their thing on it." Testing the things
> we know about is in a way less important than making sure nothing else
> got broken.

I've gotten the DB work on one of our applications to the point where
there's a meaningful set of DB tests that can be run in automated
fashion.  As a result, I rotate between PG versions periodically; every
couple weeks, I recompile HEAD, and run a test against it to make sure I
don't see any regressions.

It would be insane to think about deploying on some 8.5-alpha version,
but it's nice to have something I can run in ~5 minutes that exercises a
fair bit of at least vaguely realistic functionality.
--
"cbbrowne","@","ca.afilias.info"
Christopher Browne