Re: Wanted: new project slogan

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Michael Alan Brewer <mbrewer(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wanted: new project slogan
Date: 2010-01-28 13:59:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> On ons, 2010-01-27 at 11:45 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
>> Many suggestions in this thread use "Database" interchangeably with
>> "Database Management System". The latter is a little verbose, but
>> "Database System" should be concise enough for a slogan without losing
>> the meaning.
>
> You are completely right that "PostgreSQL" is not a "database", but it's
> tempting to use it in a slogan because it's shorter and more
> recognizable.  But "database system" is also not correct, and arguably
> not as short and recognizable.  So you'd get the worst of both worlds
> that way.

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2010-01/msg00053.php

  The Professional Database Solution

It's missing something yet, but hopefully with some contribution we'd
get there.
--
dim

Each time I'm asked to give an overly brief comparision between MySQL
and PostgreSQL, I begin with the punch line: well, with MySQL you get
problems, with PostgreSQL, solutions.