Re: sleep function

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: John DeSoi <jd(at)icx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sleep function
Date: 2004-08-23 03:52:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

John DeSoi <jd(at)icx(dot)net> writes:

> On Aug 10, 2004, at 10:57 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I can't think of one, no. I think you will have to use one of the
> > server-side languages and call a sleep in there.
>
> This is no good in the real world since it pounds the CPU, but it worked well
> enough for my testing purposes.

You went the long way around. I think what he meant was something as simple
as:

bash-2.05b$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/createlang -U postgres plperlu test

bash-2.05b$ psql -d test -U postgres

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help on internal slash commands
\q to quit

test=# create or replace function sleep(integer) returns integer as 'return sleep(shift)' language plperlu;
CREATE FUNCTION

test=# \timing
Timing is on.

test=# select sleep(10) ;