Re: Scaling up PostgreSQL in Multiple CPU / Dual Core

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Scaling up PostgreSQL in Multiple CPU / Dual Core
Date: 2006-03-24 02:22:34
Lists: pgsql-performance
Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com (Scott Marlowe) wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 10:43, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> > Has someone been working on the problem of splitting a query into pieces
>> > and running it on multiple CPUs / multiple machines?  Yes.  Bizgress has
>> > done that.
>>
>> I believe that is limited to Bizgress MPP yes?
>
> Yep.  I hope that someday it will be released to the postgresql global
> dev group for inclusion.  Or at least parts of it.

Question: Does the Bizgress/MPP use threading for this concurrency?
Or forking?

If it does so via forking, that's more portable, and less dependent on
specific complexities of threading implementations (which amounts to
non-portability ;-)).

Most times Jan comes to town, we spend a few minutes musing about the
"splitting queries across threads" problem, and dismiss it again; if
there's the beginning of a "split across processes," that's decidedly
neat :-).
--
output = reverse("moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/internet.html