Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-packagers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1
Date: 2007-09-28 09:44:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> writes:

> This is where I was suggesting doing something like running the
> regression tests using old client libraries linked against the new
> library.  If there's a binary-incompatible change then the path is
> clear.  If the regression tests work fine then I'd feel comfortable
> just bumping the minor version and leaving the real 'soname' alone.

Unfortunately the regression tests don't really test the library interface.
They test that various forms of SQL work but all with a single client and a
single form of authentication.

What we want to know is that things like pgadmin can connect properly to
either 8.3, 8.2, and even 8.1 using the new libraries regardless of how the
server authentication is configured. Do they work correctly if the server
tries to do password authentication, ident, kerberos, etc.

--
  Gregory Stark