Bug? CREATE TABLE AS (... UNION ...)

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Bug? CREATE TABLE AS (... UNION ...)
Date: 2007-01-30 11:00:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think I found a bug, or at least a discrepancy. Afaict the
transformSetOperationsStmt function should have identical code to
transformSelectStmt outside of the operations affected by set operations. If
that's the case then the SELECT INTO/CREATE TABLE AS code was not updated when
last it was touched for regular queries.

I think this means WITH[OUT] OIDS and WITH <definition> won't currently work
correctly if the select query involves a UNION or other set operation. Also
temporary tables created with an ON COMMIT option will ignore it and any
tablespace directive will be ignored.

Should I just copy the same code over or is anyone interested in refactoring
this? Or do I have it wrong somehow?

TransformSelectStmt:

/* handle any SELECT INTO/CREATE TABLE AS spec */
if (stmt->into)
{
qry->into = stmt->into;
if (stmt->intoColNames)
applyColumnNames(qry->targetList, stmt->intoColNames);
qry->intoOptions = copyObject(stmt->intoOptions);
qry->intoOnCommit = stmt->intoOnCommit;
qry->intoTableSpaceName = stmt->intoTableSpaceName;
}

transformSetOperationStmt:

/*
* Handle SELECT INTO/CREATE TABLE AS.
*
* Any column names from CREATE TABLE AS need to be attached to both the
* top level and the leftmost subquery. We do not do this earlier because
* we do *not* want sortClause processing to be affected.
*/
if (intoColNames)
{
applyColumnNames(qry->targetList, intoColNames);
applyColumnNames(leftmostQuery->targetList, intoColNames);
}

--
Gregory Stark