Re: Release Notes Overview

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release Notes Overview
Date: 2007-10-05 10:24:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Asynchronous Commit allows some transactions to commit faster than
> others, offering a trade-off between performance and durability for
> specific transaction types only

A lot of users will be confused about what asynchronous commit does. I think
it's important to be consistently precise when describing it.

It doesn't allow commits to be any faster, what it does is "allow clients to
start a new transaction and continue working without waiting for their
previous commit to complete". Saying something like "This allows high volumes
of short transactions such as typical web sites to run more efficiently and
with fewer connections" might also help clarify the use case it helps.

--
  Gregory Stark