Re: Texinfo docs/target

From: Andreas Seltenreich <andreas+pg(at)gate450(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Texinfo docs/target
Date: 2006-09-29 04:32:27
Lists: pgsql-docs

> Andreas Seltenreich wrote:
>> Now I'm wondering, if it'd be worth fixing the index and some minor
>> encoding deficiencies (e.g. medium-length dashes end up as
>> "[mdash]"), and adding Autoconf support in order to make it a proper
>> target.
>
> We probably won't ship it with the default distribution, but I don't see
> any harm in at least providing build support for it initially.

The index seems to work with more recent versions of DB2X, and the
apparent encoding problems turned out to be an overlook in the
postgres.xml target.

I had to run makeinfo with the --no-validate option, mostly because
the info design doesn't allow duplicate node names.  However, it
doesn't seem to impair navigation besides addressing nodes by name,
and since most of the duplicate names are nodes like "Changes" in the
release notes section, I don't think it will be more of a nuisance
than being unable to look up Pi in the index...

I figured adding autoconf support for db2x/info wouldn't be very wise
as long as the experimental postgres.xml target the new rules depend
on doesn't have any either.

Patch attached.

regards,
andreas