Re: installation DBD::Pg

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Ben Sabadus" <Ben(dot)Sabadus(at)upsnap(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: installation DBD::Pg
Date: 2008-02-13 01:34:54
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
"Ben Sabadus" <Ben(dot)Sabadus(at)upsnap(dot)com> writes:

> Can you help me w/ this? I am trying to run 'install DBD::Pg' using CPAN and
> it is asking me for the "Path to pg_config".
>
> Is there some other way I can install DBD:Pg without having to install a
> full version of Postgre on my machine?  I would think I wouldn't have to
> have Postgre on my local machine to connect to another Postgre DB on an
> external machine.

Well CPAN is trying to compile DBD::Pg from source. You don't even need a
complete Postgres install for that, just the development libraries. You don't
explain what operating system you're using but for example most Linux
distributions have a separate package for the development libraries.

Alternatively if your operating system has it you could install a precompiled
DBD::Pg packages instead of compiling from source. On Debian it's called
libdbd-pg-perl for example.

--
  Gregory Stark