Re: float4/float8/int64 passed by value with tsearchfixup

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Zoltan Boszormenyi" <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Hans-Juergen Schoenig" <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: float4/float8/int64 passed by value with tsearchfixup
Date: 2008-04-18 21:51:38
Lists: pgsql-patches
"Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Specifically, I think what you missed is that on some platforms C
>> functions pass or return float values differently from similar-sized
>> integer or pointer values (typically, the float values get passed in
>> floating-point registers).
>
> Argh ... I would have certainly missed that.

Hum. That's a valid concern for some platforms, Sparc I think?

But I'm skeptical that it would hit such a wide swathe of the build farm. In
particular AFAIK the standard ABI for i386 does no such thing. You can get
behaviour like that from GCC using function attributes like regparam but it's
not the default.

--
  Gregory Stark