Re: tweak CREATE SEQUENCE grammar

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tweak CREATE SEQUENCE grammar
Date: 2002-09-30 22:42:03
Lists: pgsql-patches

> It seems that the proposed standard's sequence generators have a
> number of syntactical and semantic differences from ours

Yeah, there are some differences, but overall I think the spec-defined
behavior is remarkably similar to what we currently implement.

> [spec defines different syntax to ] set the current value, define
> "serial" columns

Can you point me to where in the standard these are defined? (I looked
briefly but couldn't find it.)

> [SQL 200x] sequences are apparently not allowed to contain holes.

This passage suggests to me that sequences can contain holes (4.22,
p.71):

Changes to the current base value of a sequence generator are
not controlled by SQL-transactions; therefore, commits and
rollbacks of SQL-transactions have no effect on the base value
of a sequence generator.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC