Re: Open Sourcing pgManage

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Open Sourcing pgManage
Date: 2003-11-05 01:32:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think there is room for lots of GUIs, though, and having a Java admin GUI
> would be cool too, as would having a servlet/JSP based admin client deployable
> as a web archive.

If someone's looking for an interesting GUI project, Applix had a database
frontend that was geared more for data rather than DDL. It presented a
spreadsheet-like interface for arbitrary sql queries and handled dealing with
arbitrary sized result sets and allowing editing of fields using primary keys
etc.

It was actually part of their open source release. I looked at trying to pull
it out of their build system and package it up independently a while back. It
was a bit of a pain. But I did manage to get it compiled and up and running
against Oracle at the time. The main pain was getting the ODBC drivers set up.

Getting that working smoothly with postgres and actively developed could make
for a really nice DML tool.

--
greg