Re: pgsql: Add checks to TRUNCATE, CLUSTER, and REINDEX to prevent

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add checks to TRUNCATE, CLUSTER, and REINDEX to prevent
Date: 2008-01-31 20:10:13
Lists: pgsql-committers
"Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:

> 	* Improve deadlock detection when deleting items from shared buffers
> Let me know if there is better wording.

I'm not sure whhere deleting items from shared buffers enters into it.

I think you need something like:

Add deadlock detection when a process holding a buffer pin is blocked by a
lock held by a process attempting to LockBufferForCleanup() on that buffer or
more complex versions thereof. (And without adding unacceptable overhead to
pin/unpin.)

--
  Gregory Stark