Re: Easy upgrade on Cpanel *without* downtime

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Easy upgrade on Cpanel *without* downtime
Date: 2008-08-26 16:17:29
Lists: pgsql-general
phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com ("Phoenix Kiula") writes:
> On 8/26/08, Tomasz Ostrowski <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl> wrote:
>>
>>  I think nobody would guide you step by step. Either read documentation
>>  and do it yourself or hire an expert:
>
> Thanks. I suppose that spirit is quite evident in the documentation.
> Why make it easy or easily understandable when you can win fanatical
> fans by requiring them to invest months of their time!

I think that the level of detail that we *DID* give in the page on
version upgrades was not unsuitable.
  http://www.slony.info/documentation/versionupgrade.html

It doesn't try to explain *EVERYTHING*; it tries to give enough detail
to help you construct whatever procedure you need to construct.

The trouble with it all is that:

a) Flexibility comes at a cost, namely the cost of there being some
   not-inconsiderable complexity.

   Unfortunately, it's not easy, and wishing it were so is just
   wishful thinking.

   I wish it *could* be easy, but it simply isn't, and I don't see
   anything to change that *would* make it easy.

b) People are using different sorts of environments that can vary
   quite a bit.

   This means that if we write up a super-detailed procedure, that
   procedure will ONLY be valid for the specific environment it was
   written for.

   For instance, I could go into gratuitous detail about how to do
   PostgreSQL and Slony-I compiles and installs on our AIX systems,
   unfortunately, that detail would NOT be useful to you when you're
   using something else.

   If, instead, I went into deep detail as to how to deal with a
   2-node cluster on Ubuntu Linux, in conjunction with CPanel, this
   would:

    a) Not be relevant to our staff that aren't using that flavour of
       Linux, and
    b) Have portions that are totally irrelevant to anyone not using
       CPanel.

   Super-detailed procedures aren't worth having, sorry.
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "linuxfinances.info")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/advocacy.html