Re: Easy upgrade on Cpanel *without* downtime

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Easy upgrade on Cpanel *without* downtime
Date: 2008-08-26 16:17:29
Lists: pgsql-general
phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com ("Phoenix Kiula") writes:
> On 8/26/08, Tomasz Ostrowski <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl> wrote:
>>  I think nobody would guide you step by step. Either read documentation
>>  and do it yourself or hire an expert:
> Thanks. I suppose that spirit is quite evident in the documentation.
> Why make it easy or easily understandable when you can win fanatical
> fans by requiring them to invest months of their time!

I think that the level of detail that we *DID* give in the page on
version upgrades was not unsuitable.

It doesn't try to explain *EVERYTHING*; it tries to give enough detail
to help you construct whatever procedure you need to construct.

The trouble with it all is that:

a) Flexibility comes at a cost, namely the cost of there being some
   not-inconsiderable complexity.

   Unfortunately, it's not easy, and wishing it were so is just
   wishful thinking.

   I wish it *could* be easy, but it simply isn't, and I don't see
   anything to change that *would* make it easy.

b) People are using different sorts of environments that can vary
   quite a bit.

   This means that if we write up a super-detailed procedure, that
   procedure will ONLY be valid for the specific environment it was
   written for.

   For instance, I could go into gratuitous detail about how to do
   PostgreSQL and Slony-I compiles and installs on our AIX systems,
   unfortunately, that detail would NOT be useful to you when you're
   using something else.

   If, instead, I went into deep detail as to how to deal with a
   2-node cluster on Ubuntu Linux, in conjunction with CPanel, this

    a) Not be relevant to our staff that aren't using that flavour of
       Linux, and
    b) Have portions that are totally irrelevant to anyone not using

   Super-detailed procedures aren't worth having, sorry.
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "")
"Be  warned that  typing ``killall  name''  may not  have the  desired
effect  on non-Linux  systems, especially  when done  by  a privileged
user."  -- From the killall manual page