Re: Easy upgrade on Cpanel *without* downtime

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Easy upgrade on Cpanel *without* downtime
Date: 2008-08-26 16:17:29
Lists: pgsql-general

phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com ("Phoenix Kiula") writes:
> On 8/26/08, Tomasz Ostrowski <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl> wrote:
>>
>> I think nobody would guide you step by step. Either read documentation
>> and do it yourself or hire an expert:
>
> Thanks. I suppose that spirit is quite evident in the documentation.
> Why make it easy or easily understandable when you can win fanatical
> fans by requiring them to invest months of their time!

I think that the level of detail that we *DID* give in the page on
version upgrades was not unsuitable.
http://www.slony.info/documentation/versionupgrade.html

It doesn't try to explain *EVERYTHING*; it tries to give enough detail
to help you construct whatever procedure you need to construct.

The trouble with it all is that:

a) Flexibility comes at a cost, namely the cost of there being some
not-inconsiderable complexity.

Unfortunately, it's not easy, and wishing it were so is just
wishful thinking.

I wish it *could* be easy, but it simply isn't, and I don't see
anything to change that *would* make it easy.

b) People are using different sorts of environments that can vary
quite a bit.

This means that if we write up a super-detailed procedure, that
procedure will ONLY be valid for the specific environment it was
written for.

For instance, I could go into gratuitous detail about how to do
PostgreSQL and Slony-I compiles and installs on our AIX systems,
unfortunately, that detail would NOT be useful to you when you're
using something else.

If, instead, I went into deep detail as to how to deal with a
2-node cluster on Ubuntu Linux, in conjunction with CPanel, this
would:

a) Not be relevant to our staff that aren't using that flavour of
Linux, and
b) Have portions that are totally irrelevant to anyone not using
CPanel.

Super-detailed procedures aren't worth having, sorry.
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "linuxfinances.info")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/advocacy.html