Re: Another swing at JSON

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Joseph Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Another swing at JSON
Date: 2011-03-30 08:27:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Why are you worrying with the non-PGXS build chain anyway?  Just assume
> that the module is going to be built with PGXS and things should just
> work.
>
> We've gone over this a dozen times in the past.

+1

I'm not sure why we still support the pre-PGXS build recipe in the
contrib Makefiles, and didn't want to change that as part as the
extension patch series, but I think we should reconsider.

This and removing module_pathname in the control files to just use
$libdir/contrib in the .sql files.  That would set a better example to
people who want to make their own extensions, as the general case is
that those will not get into contrib.

I think we should lower the differences between contrib and external
extensions, so that contrib is only about who maintains the code and
distribute the extension.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine