Re: pgwin32_open returning EINVAL

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgwin32_open returning EINVAL
Date: 2007-12-16 10:31:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>>> Interesting. Maybe forever is going a bit too far, but retrying for <n>
>>> seconds or so.
>
>> I think looping forever is the right thing. Having a fixed timeout just means
>> Postgres will break sometimes instead of all the time. And it introduces
>> non-deterministic behaviour too.
>
> Looping forever would be considered broken by a very large fraction of
> the community.

Really? I understood we're talking about having Postgres fail with an error if
any of its files are opened by another program such as backup software. So
with a 30s limit it means Postgres might or might not fail depending on how
long this other software has the file open. That doesn't seem like an
improvement.

> IIRC we have a 30-second timeout in rename() for Windows, and that seems
> to be working well enough, so I'd be inclined to copy the behavior for
> this case.

I thought it was unlink, and the worst-case there is that we leak a file until
some later time. I'm wasn't exactly following that case though.

--
Gregory Stark