Re: superlative missuse

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: superlative missuse
Date: 2009-05-13 15:36:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

clist(at)uah(dot)es (Angel Alvarez) writes:
> more optimal plan...
> morreoptimal configuration...
>
> we suffer a 'more optimal' superlative missuse
>
> there is not so 'more optimal' thing but a simple 'better' thing.
>
> im not native english speaker but i think it still applies.

If I wanted to be pedantic about it, I'd say that the word "nearly" is
missing.

That is, it would be "strictly correct" if one instead said "more
nearly optimal."

I don't imagine people get too terribly confused by the lack of the
word "nearly," so I nearly don't care :-).
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/languages.html