Re: Advice on HA/LB setup for small installation

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Jamie Tufnell <diesql(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Advice on HA/LB setup for small installation
Date: 2010-05-31 13:43:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jamie Tufnell <diesql(at)googlemail(dot)com> writes:
> Secondly, is there a companion tool to achieve this with pgbouncer?
> Note I have nothing against pgpool, just curious as we're already
> using pgbouncer in production.

If you mean distributing the read-only queries to more than one server
backend, you can use haproxy in TCP mode for that. Application talks to
pgbouncer, which talks to haproxy, which connects to PostgreSQL.

Please note that nothing there will triage the read-only queries apart
from your application, and the hot-standby PostgreSQL (which will error
out).

Regards,
--
dim