Re: Converting postgresql.conf parameters to kilobytes

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Converting postgresql.conf parameters to kilobytes
Date: 2004-06-01 03:42:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > So I disagree with the premise. Measuring these things in KB is not an
> > improvement.
>
> I agree, although I think changing effective_cache_size to be measured in KB/MB
> is worth doing.

I have to say as a user the parameters that are measured in postgres blocks
are really annoying and confusing. Really really annoying and confusing.

If someone's playing with this I would suggest they should work something like
dd parameters and take a unit. So you could specify effective_cache=500k or
effective_cache=1M or effective_cache=1G or whatever unit you wanted.

And this should be true for _all_ parameters that measure space. Consistency
makes it much much easier for people to learn a new system.

--
greg