Re: MySQL -> PostgreSQL conversion issue

From: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: 'Scott Marlowe' <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL -> PostgreSQL conversion issue
Date: 2010-10-29 01:39:33
Lists: pgsql-general

If the operation is a substring, and if tf.dnid is a bigint, then the query is absurd.
The data length of a bigint will be 8 bytes. Length has no meaning since tf.dnid is not a string. Also, assignment of a substring to a bigint is a rather silly operation.

Probably what the o.p. wants is just:
tf.dnid = cdr.dnid::bigint
But that assumes that the types bigint and varchar and the o.p. wants to store the number contained in the string into the big integer.

I would hate to see the rest of the design. I am ill from this tiny fragment.