Re: Invoice number

From: John Hasler <john(at)dhh(dot)gt(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL-SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Invoice number
Date: 2000-12-21 20:41:31
Lists: pgsql-sql
Mike Castle writes:
> Client 3 comes along.  Do they use invoice #1, out of order, or invoice
> #3?

It shouldn't matter, as long as every number is accounted for.

Seems to me that a trigger could make a log entry every time the serial is
incremented.  Workable?

> What happens in a paper world if a cup of coffee is spilt on some
> invoices, and these precious items are thrown in the trash?

They are returned to accounting with an explanatory note, the numbers are
logged as "voided", and the spoiled forms are shredded.
--
John Hasler
john(at)dhh(dot)gt(dot)org