Re: Invoice number

From: John Hasler <john(at)dhh(dot)gt(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL-SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Invoice number
Date: 2000-12-21 20:41:31
Lists: pgsql-sql
Mike Castle writes:
> Client 3 comes along.  Do they use invoice #1, out of order, or invoice
> #3?

It shouldn't matter, as long as every number is accounted for.

Seems to me that a trigger could make a log entry every time the serial is
incremented.  Workable?

> What happens in a paper world if a cup of coffee is spilt on some
> invoices, and these precious items are thrown in the trash?

They are returned to accounting with an explanatory note, the numbers are
logged as "voided", and the spoiled forms are shredded.
John Hasler
Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin