Re: COPY alloc problem in 7.4

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Margus Väli <mvali(at)hot(dot)ee>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY alloc problem in 7.4
Date: 2003-11-28 21:41:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Margus Väli <mvali(at)hot(dot)ee> writes:
> COPY command tries to create a buffer too large in size when the
> file copied is larger than about 500 bytes.

Can anyone else reproduce this? I did the following with a fairly
recent CVS snapshot:

1. Copied the supplied text data to a file, fixed up the extra
newlines so that COPY doesn't bail out

2. Created a new database with encoding = unicode

3. Create a table "marksona" in that DB with the supplied schema

4. I then got the following:

unicode_test=# copy marksona from '/home/nconway/copy_input.asc' with delimiter '|' null as '';
ERROR: Unicode characters greater than or equal to 0x10000 are not supported
CONTEXT: COPY marksona, line 12, column sona: "Balti Sõjaväeringkonna Ülemjuh"

5. If I load the data into a SQL_ASCII encoded DB, the COPY
command succeeds.

However, I know absolutely nothing about Unicode, so perhaps I've
mucked something up.

-Neil