Re: Caching driver on pgFoundry?

From: Paul van den Bogaard <Paul(dot)Vandenbogaard(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Kovacs <peter(dot)kovacs(dot)1(dot)0rc(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Caching driver on pgFoundry?
Date: 2007-09-06 12:17:54
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
You have a point here.

--Paul

On 6-sep-2007, at 11:26, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Paul van den Bogaard wrote:
>> if the caching & pooling stuff is in the same jar file as the rest of
>> the JDBC driver than my point is empty. If it is (can be seen as) an
>> extra element that it is very likely it will mean extra work for
>> the Q&A
>> department of the ISV.
>> Test suite is likely to become
>>
>> on platform A, test with and test without
>> on platform B, test with and test without
>>
>> continues till all platforms are covered.
>>
>> In general one more element translates in more permutations.
>
> I don't get that. If you need the caching, you're going distribute the
> caching component with your software, and you're going to test it
> *with*
>  the caching. Why would you test it without it?
>
> On the other hand, if you want to support your software with and
> without
> the caching, you should test it in both modes, regardless of the
> packaging.
>
> --
>   Heikki Linnakangas
>   EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

---------------------
Paul van den Bogaard
Paul(dot)vandenBogaard(at)sun(dot)com
CIE -- Collaboration and ISV Engineering, Opensource Engineering group

Sun Microsystems, Inc                              phone:        +31
334 515 918
Saturnus 1
extentsion: x (70)15918
3824 ME Amersfoort                                 mobile:       +31
651 913 354
The Netherlands
fax:            +31 334 515 001