Re: [PERFORM] More detail on settings for pgavd?

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] More detail on settings for pgavd?
Date: 2003-11-22 00:51:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

> > BTW, do we have any provisions to avoid overlapping vacuums? That is, to
> > prevent a second vacuum on a table if an earlier one is still running?
>
> Yes, VACUUM takes a lock that prevents another VACUUM on the same table.

The second vacuum waits for the lock to become available. If the situation got
really bad there could end up being a growing queue of vacuums waiting.

I'm not sure how likely this is as the subsequent vacuums appear to finish
quite quickly though. But then the largest table I have to play with fits
entirely in memory.

--
greg