Re: Incremental results from libpq

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Frank van Vugt <ftm(dot)van(dot)vugt(at)foxi(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Incremental results from libpq
Date: 2005-11-10 19:27:18
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Frank van Vugt <ftm(dot)van(dot)vugt(at)foxi(dot)nl> writes:

> I'm wondering, what kind of failure do you have in mind, here? If I'm informed
> correctly then Oracle and others are generating the complete static result
> set on the server-side, which will then stay cached until all rows/chunks are
> fetched.

That's obviously not true. Try doing "select * from huge_table" on Oracle and
you'll see records start appearing immediately. There are applications where
huge_table could occupy hundreds of gigabytes (or petabytes) and requiring all
queries to create copies of all their result sets before proceeding would make
lots of important applications entirely infeasible.