Re: Postgres configuration for 64 CPUs, 128 GB RAM...

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Marc Mamin" <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres configuration for 64 CPUs, 128 GB RAM...
Date: 2007-07-17 16:18:28
Lists: pgsql-performance
"Marc Mamin" <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de> writes:

> We have the oppotunity to benchmark our application on a large server. I
> have to prepare the Postgres configuration and I'd appreciate some
> comments on it as I am not experienced with servers of such a scale.
> Moreover the configuration should be fail-proof as I won't be able to
> attend the tests.

I really think that's a recipe for disaster. Even on a regular machine you
need to treat tuning as an on-going feedback process. There's no such thing as
a fail-proof configuration since every application is different.

On an exotic machine like this you're going to run into unique problems that
nobody here can anticipate with certainty.

--
  Gregory Stark