Re: Win32: Minimising desktop heap usage

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32: Minimising desktop heap usage
Date: 2007-10-23 15:54:39
Lists: pgsql-patches

>> ! /*
>> ! * Note: We use getenv here because the more modern SHGetSpecialFolderPath()
>> ! * will force us to link with shell32.lib which eats valuable desktop heap.
>> ! */
>> ! tmppath = getenv("APPDATA");
>
> Hmm, is there any functional downside to this? I suppose
> SHGetSpecialFolderPath does some things that getenv does not...

The functional difference appears to be that the environment variable is set
on startup (or login?) and doesn't necessarily have the most up to date value
if it's been changed. But it's not something you're likely to change and you
can always adjust the environment variable manually to fix the problem.

--
Gregory Stark