Re: libgcc double-free, backend won't die

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "James Mansion" <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Craig James" <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libgcc double-free, backend won't die
Date: 2007-12-16 18:16:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

> James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com> writes:
>> Is there any particular reason not to ensure that any low-level
>> threading support in libc is enabled right
>> from the get-go, as a build-time option?
>
> Yes.
> 1) It's of no value to us
> 2) On many platforms there is a nonzero performance penalty

And the only reason to do that would be to work around one bug in one small
range of glibc versions. If you're going to use a multi-threaded library
(which isn't very common since it's hard to do safely for all those other
reasons) surely using a version of your OS without any thread related bugs is
a better idea.

--
Gregory Stark