Re: [ADMIN] License Issue

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] License Issue
Date: 2009-04-21 20:51:23
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane) writes:
> Korry Douglas <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>>> Seems like the easy solution is to rip out the AIX files in your
>>> server deployments ... or are you actually intending to support AIX?
>
>> AIX itself now offers the functions found in src/backend/port/
>> dynloader/aix.c so I think that file may be obsolete as of (at least
>> AIX 5.3).
>
>> aix.c was required long ago because AIX did not offer the popular
>> dlopen(), dlsym(), dlclose(), and dlerror() functions - you had to
>> write them yourself.
>
> Well, we've got AIXen in the buildfarm, shall we rip out those files
> and see what happens?

Go nuts :-).

From "our" perspective (at Afilias), I wouldn't see any problem with
stripping out obsolete AIXisms like this, as long as we're validating
the change against buildfarm, which we're running regularly. We got
rid of our last AIX 5.1 a couple of years ago.

However, there have been some reports out there on the InterWeb of
people running PostgreSQL on AIX 4.3 and such, and those people might
be displeased by this stuff getting "ripped out."

But that being said, I can't see it being a particularly sensible to
be keeping PostgreSQL up to date on a platform where the OS has been
out of maintenance for *years*.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
Rules of the Evil Overlord #151. "I will not set myself up as a