Re: Confusion over Python drivers

From: Florian Weimer <fw(at)deneb(dot)enyo(dot)de>
To: Andrew McNamara <andrewm(at)object-craft(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusion over Python drivers
Date: 2010-02-08 19:50:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
* Andrew McNamara:

>>Any other suggestions before I turn the above into a roadmap page on the
>>wiki?
>
> I got sick of the constant stream of escaping bugs impacting on psycopg
> and pyPgSQL, and wrote my own DB-API driver, using the more modern
> libpq/binary/protocol 3 APIs where ever possible. The result is BSD
> licensed:
>
>     http://code.google.com/p/ocpgdb/

I saw your note that you have to specify the types for date values
etc.  Is this really desirable or even necessary?  Can't you specify
the type as unknown (OID 705, I believe)?

At work, we recently used to typelessness of Perl's DBD::Pg with great
effect, introducing a more compact, type-safe representation for a few
columns, without having to change all the existing Perl scripts
accessing the database.  That's why I'm wondering...

(And we might be using Python instead of Perl today.  Lack of a decent
PostgreSQL module for Python meant it was very hard to argue against
using Perl ...)