Newbie hacker looking to get started

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Newbie hacker looking to get started
Date: 2002-11-30 22:41:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I was thinking of hacking on postgres a bit. I want to start with filling out
the operations list for data types that seem to be missing obvious operators.

In particular I'm thinking of things like

. an aggregate function for cidr that would find the smallest enclosing netblock.
. an aggregate function for box, point, etc for the bounding box

I had some other ideas but I don't remember them now.

Anyways, I'm a bit stumped where to start. Looking at the existing operations
there seems to be a bit of magic using macros involved in creating
accumulators and result sets that I don't get.

Is there a walk-through of a typical datatype and how to code an operator
somewhere?

--
greg

Next:From: Greg StarkDate: 2002-11-30 22:47:54