Re: before trigger doesn't, on insert of too long data

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: before trigger doesn't, on insert of too long data
Date: 2003-11-10 22:42:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com> writes:
> I don't know how the check for the data integrity is implemented but if
> is a trigger

It isn't -- trigger firing order is irrelevant to the original
question.

> 1) Create table
> 2) create a before insert trigger:   trigger_a
> 3) create a before insert trigger:   trigger_b
>
> test=# insert into test values ( 10 );
> NOTICE:  TRIGGER A
> NOTICE:  TRIGGER B
> INSERT 3416835 1

The firing order of triggers in PostgreSQL is documented: it is done
alphabetically. When this was discussed, the consensus was that the
"fire by creation order" part of the spec is not very useful, so we
decided to deviate from it deliberately.

-Neil