Re: disabling OIDs?

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: "Mark Dexter" <MDEXTER(at)dexterchaney(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: disabling OIDs?
Date: 2004-12-13 20:06:16
Lists: pgsql-general

"Mark Dexter" <MDEXTER(at)dexterchaney(dot)com> writes:

> > For what it's worth, OIDs are required if you ever want to use
> > updateable cursors with the ODBC driver. We discovered this the hard
> > way. Mark Dexter

That's unfortunate. Is it because it's difficult to track down the primary key
of the table? Is it any easier to track down the primary key of the table in
8.0? It would be much better if it checked the primary key and used that
instead of OIDs.

Though I'm unclear implementing "updateable cursors" in the client-end is
really a good idea. I suppose it's nice if you understand the limitations
inherent.

--
greg