Re: dateformat issue

From: Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttmail(dot)com>
To: Gavin 'Beau' Baumanis <gavinb(at)eclinic(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dateformat issue
Date: 2008-04-10 12:37:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

Gavin 'Beau' Baumanis <gavinb(at)eclinic(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I have a question about dates, please.
>
> I am using Coldfusion and Postgres
> I have a function that takes the ate entered in a form and converts it
> into an odbc date format.
>
> So the string ends up being;
> {d '2008-04-10'}
>
> Strangely, the function is used throughout the application and causes
> no issues but on one particular template.
> And this same templates is replicated for other clients - that
> seemingly have no issue .
>

> The SQL is simply
>
> Insert into table (datefield) values ({d '2008-04-10'})
>
> Now, I have read the docs and do not see the {d '2008-04-10'} format
> as being a valid date data type...
> But it works elsewhere in the application / on other sites - thus my
> current state of confusion.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.

As others have underlined, "{d '2008-04-10'}" is not a valid SQL
timestamp format. I think your query adapter somehow converts it to its
appropriate format on the fly. If I were you, to spot the problem, I'd
turn query logging on in the server side and see

- How does working date queries get passed to the server?
- How does bogus query get passed to the server?

This details can help you/us to identify the problem.

Regards.