Re: requested shared memory size overflows size_t

From: "Stephen Conley" <cheetah(at)tanabi(dot)org>
To: "Uwe Bartels" <uwe(dot)bartels(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: requested shared memory size overflows size_t
Date: 2008-07-15 21:26:52
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hey there;

As Tom notes before maybe you're not using the right postgres.  Solaris 10
comes with a postgres, but on SPARC it's 32 bit compiled (I can't speak to
x86 Solaris though).

Assuming that's not the problem, you can be 100% sure if your Postgres
binary is actually 64 bit by using the file command on the 'postgres'
executable.  A sample from 64 bit SPARC looks like this:

postgres:       ELF 64-bit MSB executable SPARCV9 Version 1, UltraSPARC3
Extensions Required, dynamically linked, not stripped

But x86 should show something similar.  I have run Postgres up to about 8
gigs of RAM on Solaris without trouble.  Anyway, sorry if this is obvious /
not helpful but good luck :)

Steve