Re: pgadmin problem

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: mmd(at)teledavis(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgadmin problem
Date: 2004-07-23 13:54:31
Lists: pgsql-general
mmd(at)teledavis(dot)com writes:

> I want to use pgadmin to set up some tables, rather than do all the
> psql statements from the terminal.
>
> When I try to add a server, though, pgadmin fails to connect, and asks
> whether the server is accepting TCP/IP connections on the default
> port, and whether localhost is the correct servername.
>
> I assume that both of these ARE set to the defaults, because if I
> simply type
>
>        $ psql contacts
>
> I go right into psql, where I am allowed to make and alter tables.

The server doesn't use TCP/IP by default.  You can change this by
editing the postgresql.conf file in the server's data directory (the
location of which varies depending on how PG was installed) and
setting 'tcpip_socket' to 'true', then restarting the server.

You may also need to edit pg_hba.conf, depending on whether you're
connecting from the local machine and how you have your databases set
up.

-Doug