Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Jeff Davis" <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option
Date: 2007-03-01 00:02:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Jonah H. Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> On 2/28/07, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> "Jonah H. Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>>
>> > Which is, of course, how everyone else does it.
>>
>> I happen to agree with your conclusion but this line of argument is
>> exceptionally unconvincing. In fact in this crowd you'll tend to turn people
>> off and lose people if you say things like that rather than convince anyone of
>> anything.
>
> Rather than reinventing the wheel, it often pays to piggyback on the
> solutions others in similar situations have encountered. I'm just
> stating how others provide similar functionality or capabilities. If
> someone dislikes an idea just because the major vendors have done it
> that way, that's their own problem. It's up to the community to
> decide how to proceed given the information at hand.

Except that's not what you're doing. There's nothing wrong with saying "foo
does this clever thing I think we should copy because <insert argument>". Nor
even "foo does this thing, would that help us?" But what you seem to be saying
is "*Because* foo does this thing we can conclude it's a clever thing and we
should do it".

--
Gregory Stark