Re: Can I use PostgreSQL to develop a self-organizing

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can I use PostgreSQL to develop a self-organizing
Date: 2003-09-08 21:55:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net> writes:

> On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 15:22, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>
> > I also use views to simplify application code by moving
> > complicated queries onto the backend. I wonder what, if any,
>
> Are you referring to Access' tendency to do the joins on the client?

No, I think he doesn't mean move execution to the backend, just lexically
hoisting the complex repeated code out of the front-end code.

A self-organizing materialized view system might be able to use normal
non-materialized views as hints to help it find useful views to materialize.

It also might help the programmer avoid implementing functionally equivalent
but non-identical forms of the same view in different queries, defeating the
automated recognition of similar views.

Materialized views are a godsend for DSS systems, and self-organized
materialized views sound too good to be true. Is this really feasible?
It sounds awfully ambitious considering postgres doesn't even have
materialized views yet.

--
greg