Re: Backup file extension

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backup file extension
Date: 2006-02-25 03:41:45
Lists: pgsql-general

After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, michaelmschmidt(at)msn(dot)com ("Michael Schmidt") belched out:
> I am writing a client GUI application and am adding backup/restore
> features.  I noticed that different backup file extensions are used
> for PostgreSQL - pgAdmin uses .backup (possible problem because it
> is not consistent with 8.3 file names) and PG Lightning Admin uses
> .bak (possible problem because it is generic).  To reduce the chance
> of the user making an error, I was wondering if it would make sense
> to standardize PostgreSQL backup file extension names - something
> like .pgb (PostgreSQL Backup).  I Googled pgb and it doesn't look
> like anything uses this extension.

Well, Unix doesn't have any notion of "extensions." That's something
for legacy operating systems, like MVS, CP/M, MS/DOS, and such.

On modern OSes, they generally simply support having long names, and
you are free to use whatever prefix/suffix combinations you prefer.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/rdbms.html