Re: A little COPY speedup

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A little COPY speedup
Date: 2007-03-02 18:51:16
Lists: pgsql-patches

> "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> Feedback from someone else looking to the problem last year. IIRC there
>> was a feeling that if we didn't have to search for delimiters the COPY
>> FROM input parsing could be easier.
>
> Of what use is the above comment? You have to parse the input into
> fields somehow.

Well those two requirements aren't inconsistent if you're using fixed-width
input text files. Not that I'm enamoured of such file formats, just saying.

The only file formats I ever wanted when I was doing this kind of stuff is tab
separated, all the others (comma separated and (egads) *pipe* separated?!) are
just disasters.

--
Gregory Stark