Re: Benchmarks WAS: Sun Talks about MySQL

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Euler Taveira de Oliveira" <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, "postgres performance list" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Benchmarks WAS: Sun Talks about MySQL
Date: 2008-04-28 18:40:25
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-performance
"Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> writes:

> Greg,
>
>> What I was referring to by "passing" TPC-E was the criteria for a conformant
>> benchmark run. TPC-C has iirc, only two relevant criteria: "95th percentile
>> response time < 5s" and "average response time < 95th percentile response
>> time". You can pass those even if 1 transaction in 20 takes 10-20s which is
>> more than enough to cover checkpoints and other random sources of inconsistent
>> performance.
>
> We can do this now.  I'm unhappy because we're at about 1/4 of Oracle
> performance, but we certainly pass -- even with 8.2.

We certainly can pass TPC-C. I'm curious what you mean by 1/4 though? On
similar hardware? Or the maximum we can scale to is 1/4 as large as Oracle?
Can you point me to the actual benchmark runs you're referring to?

But I just made an off-hand comment that I doubt 8.2 could pass TPC-E which
has much more stringent requirements. It has requirements like:

  the throughput computed over any period of one hour, sliding over the Steady
  State by increments of ten minutes, varies from the Reported Throughput by no
  more than 2%

--
  Gregory Stark