Re: Commitfest patches

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: "Pg Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commitfest patches
Date: 2008-04-05 02:25:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:

> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Gregory Stark wrote:
>
>> I described which interfaces worked on Linux and Solaris based on empirical
>> tests. I posted source code for synthetic benchmarks so we could test it on a
>> wide range of hardware. I posted graphs based on empirical results.
>
> Is it possible to post whatever script that generates the graph (gnuplot?) so
> people can compare the results they get to yours?

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to get gnuplot to do this. I ended up
doing it in gnumeric. I'll look into fixing it the script up to be more
automatic. Maybe look at gnuplot again.

> I can run some tests on smaller Linux/Solaris systems to see if they don't show
> a regression, that was my main concern about this experiment.

Heikki suggested some things to test for regressions. I'll look at that.

What I'm more curious about and hoped I could get data from others is whether
posix_fadvise(WILL_NEED) does anything useful on various versions of FreeBSD,
OSX, etc. Afaict the syscall doesn't exist at all on Solaris though, which
surprises me :(

--
Gregory Stark