Re: Finer Extension dependencies

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Finer Extension dependencies
Date: 2012-03-30 10:02:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> That's how I did it first, but Alvaro opposed to that because it allows
>> for more than one extension to provide for the same feature name.
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2012-03/msg01425.php
>
> Right, but the question that has to be considered is how often would
> that be intentional as opposed to an undesirable name collision.
> I think Hitoshi was right upthread that it will seldom if ever be
> the case that somebody is independently reimplementing somebody
> else's API, so the use-case for intentional substitution seems thin.

I reverted that change and we're now back to:

Table "pg_catalog.pg_extension_feature"
Column | Type | Modifiers
extoid | oid | not null
extfeature | name | not null
"pg_extension_feature_index" UNIQUE, btree (extoid, extfeature)
"pg_extension_feature_oid_index" UNIQUE, btree (oid)

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine

Attachment Content-Type Size
extension-provides.v7.patch.gz application/octet-stream 10.5 KB