Re: Improving planner variable handling

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improving planner variable handling
Date: 2008-04-16 15:27:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I wonder if this would help to clean up the equivalence class hacks in
> Greg's ordered append patch?

Pretty hard to say at this early stage, but the more I think about it
the more I like the idea of never using the same Var to represent two
values that aren't guaranteed equal. The maybe-its-null business has
been a thorn in the side of any sort of close semantic analysis for
a long time, but somehow I never perceived what a bogus idea that was.
I'm almost more excited about that than about fixing the original
problem ...